Thursday, July 31, 2014

Day 5, The Conclusion

But we were wrong! There was a task! For the Open Class only. DB and SS were penultimate and last off the grid but managed to make it to the start gate before it opened. Meanwhile, nine Open Class gliders, or 25% of the class, had landed back at the airport to try again. With pilots waiting anxiously for the announcement opening the task, organizers seemed to delay announcing, and then came the bulletin: Open Class task cancelled for the day. For some, a relief, for many, a huge disappointment. A difficult, challenging day, but that's nothing new for a World Championship.

SS: My opinion? I was the last launch, behind a weak tow plane, and they towed me downwind through the rain to a dead area. I made a u-turn as I released and went back to the only cloud around, which was by the start gate. I climbed up and when the gate opened I left. Not ideal, but possible.  . . . Almost certainly a distance day. I like distance days. Then they cancelled.

No comments:

Post a Comment