In the beginning, it was a nice day for soaring. At the end, I am hearing things on the Team radio like: "I'm 40 kilometers out, in nothing but rain"..."I'm 20k out, I may not make it"..."8 k out, I'll make it if there's no sink"..."I'm in the north part of the steering turn...lightning to my right". My repsonse to that: "Roger, 1/4 mile visibility at Leszno in heavy rain, you should consider the field closed, tag the finish ring, if you can, and go somewhere to hold."
Back in the hotel now and I just want to say that our Team, the Whole Team, performed perfectly today. Everyone. Thank you all.
Yeah, it was just a little thunderstorm cell, barely visible on the radar loop. It was spawned by the outflow from two larger thunderstorms to our west. Just a little thunderstorm, but it was Our Thunderstorm, and our pilots handled the situation perfectly. The crews were there for the landing pilots, getting them safely towed off a runway that was becoming littered with gliders in reducing visibility.
Right now, I'm happy to be in the hotel with all sailplanes home and safe.
Monday, July 28, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
thanks for the update...watching with Mrs DB for all the updates and messages....good day!...would love more info during the flights...or a head's up when the first ones are headed home..if possible
ReplyDelete